Tuesday, October 26, 2010

You're Racist?!

I was at work the other day and an client issue came up. The client happens to be from a very specific ethnic background. In my very extensive experiences with people from this ethnic background I have found that when there is a complaint or issue it needs to be dealt with a certain way or else very bad word of mouth ensues. So I went to my boss and began the conversation like this:

Me: I have to begin this conversation my saying that I am racist.
B (boss) You're what?! You're racist?!
Me: Yes. I'm being honest. I'm racist. And this has been my experience with people of XYZ background...

The shock was amazing. I mean, have you ever heard anyone say that they are racist? No. Most people say: I'm not racist, BUT... Come on now. We're all racist. Or sexist, or ageist, or size-ist, or lots-of-things-ist. Let's be honest about it. Stereotypes are around for a reason, they stem from somewhere. Now I'm not saying that there aren't people who are more open minded than others. And some who are more close minded. I'm just saying that different people react to things and deal with things in different ways. A lot of how we do things come from how we are raised and what we learn. And those of us who have been raised in small ethnic communities often see things in a similar way.

I was giving my cousin's girlfriend a ride to the big city of Winnipeg the other day. She was born and raised in a small town. And does it ever show. I'm sure she's a very nice girl, she just happens to buy into lots and lots of very negative stereotypes. She's also very young, has been sheltered, and has not yet had the opportunity to learn about the world, the amazing range of people in it, and see the beauty in our differences instead of feeling the fear of them.

I have been persecuted for being many different things. For being fat, a woman, smart, short, dark, and Jewish come to mind. And frequently once people get to know me they lose the stereotyping and think of me as a person who happens to also be XY or Z.

I once worked selling encyclopedia in Australia. The company I worked for had people all over the country working. There was a newsletter 'The Bulletin' that went out every week and it had the top sales people on it. I happened to be very good at selling encyclopedia and was on the Bulletin every week. A few months into it I went to a training weekend where all the top people in the company were. Because I was generally the top top sales person every week people knew my name. And every single person, after meeting me face to face, said: I thought you'd be taller. Seriously, Every Single Person said that. And it's probably because in our society we equate height with success. There are studies that show that. Where did that stereotype come from? Who knows, but it exists.

I worked as an assistant manager at a resort in Vanuatu. I lasted less than a week. I have olive skin. I tan very easily and when I'm sick and get pale I have a strong greenish tinge. When I got to Vanuatu I was Canadian Winter White (not white but not Dark). After having spent a few days in the sun over there, I got very dark. One of the resort owners pulled me aside one day and said: You need to stay out of the sun. I asked why. He said that my skin was getting too dark and that if I got much darker they would have to pull me out of management. I asked why. He said: Blacks can't be in management, they're not smart enough. To which I incredulously asked: You mean you actually believe that as my skin gets darker my intelligence level drops? And he said: Yes. And he meant it. Really?! So I quit. There were lots of other reasons for my leaving but really - how could I possibly get past that?! And then I was stuck on the island for another few days because Air Vanuatu had one air plane and it was damaged in a hail storm in Sydney. I did love the island though. I went kayaking every morning and watched the sun rise over the water. I went snorkeling and saw the most amazing ocean life, I climbed a waterfall, I saw amazing things at the markets. It was a phenomenal experience but unfortunately was cut short because of my intolerance for the extreme ignorance I was subjected to.

It has been recently brought to my attention by a blog reader that I generally use this medium to rant. I have to admit I really enjoy that I can. But the things going on right now that I want to rant about all have to do with the legalities of my pending divorce and should really not be put into writing. So I will have to hold off. But rest assured, the rants will begin again. And soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment