Monday, January 24, 2011

I'm an idiot?!

I work with this guy who thinks I'm an idiot. He is a complete waste of space, so I don't care what he thinks of me. It's interesting, if a stranger on the street talked to me the way he does, I would probably get pretty upset. But because I have no respect for him, his opinion doesn't matter to me.

I work for one of my brother's companies. To be fair, when I was hired (to do pretty simply customer service work), no one I worked with had any idea of my work history, qualifications, intelligence level, anything. All they knew was that I was M's sister. The actual job I was hired to do is fairly simple. Data base updating, excel spreadsheets, some basic Internet research, things like that.

Slowly the people I work for started giving me some other things to do and as I did them (and did them well), they started to see what my capabilities are and gave me more challenging work to do. Which is great. I mean, don't get me wrong, there is something to be said for mindless work but I have a brain and I like to use it. It is also the only validating thing I really have going for me these days.

OK - I started this post last week and since then I have been 'let go'. Which is a really nice way of saying fired. And it's not because of anything I did or didn't do that was under my control. It was because I just couldn't make the hours that they needed from me. They wanted 20-25 and the best I was able to do was about 15-17. It sounds weird to not be able to have 20 hours a week to dedicate to work, but by the time I drove the kids where they needed to go, took them and myself to appointments, missed work because of one or more of us being sick, I just couldn't do it. So I guess being the boss's sister will only get you so far...

I had just spent a whole bunch of time and effort getting my daycare subsidy renewed and at that point was waiting to hear if I was approved. And I was! For the entire year, which is awesome. But I called to tell them I lost my job and because I'm not working, I lose my subsidy too. Which I'm fine with. Now that I am not working, I will have lots of time to spend with the kids and I would really rather be doing that anyway. Working was a great idea in theory, and it showed me that I still do have marketable skills, and that the socialization of it is wonderful, but that right now, at this point in my life, I don't have time to work and be a good parent at the same time. So parenting it is! Until the kids are at school full time, and then I will have the opportunity to work again. I look forward to that time but will do my best to enjoy the kids while they are young. I even did a craft with them today!

I really think that without the stress of trying to get hours in for work, I will be able to enjoy my time with A and Z more than I did, and live in the moment with them instead of always worrying. Now if only x would start paying support again, maybe I could relax a bit...

No comments:

Post a Comment