Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Boils?!

I ordered in Chinese tonight. A wanted chicken chow mein, one of her favourites that she has not had in quite a while, and I can always go for some Chinese food. I called the place I usually order from and after being on hold for 7 minutes decided to try somewhere else. Big Mistake. The food took almost an hour and a half to get here. By the time it did, A had pretty much eaten dinner in the form of snacks (probably healthier than the chow mein anyway, but not the point). The chow mein had no flavour and was so greasy that soy sauce balled up on it. The hot and sour soup was pink. Pink. The unnatural kind of pink that used to be on Elephant Pink Popcorn. The spring rolls were soggy, cold, and had curry in them. I threw everything in the garbage. Sad but true. So what I'm basically saying is don't order food from The Oriental Pearl on Marion. It sucks.

I was emailing with my friend J in Toronto yesterday. She said that she read about my flood with her jaw on the floor. She wrote: What's next? Locusts? To which I replied: I know, I just keep waiting for the boils to appear. Well - wait no longer!

The other day I was getting dressed to go to a party when I noticed something wet on my stomach. I looked down and saw that where I had been rubbing the skin was coming off. And the skin just kept peeling and peeling. Until the spot without skin was about the size of a toonie. Bigger, actually, and it was red about two inches around the patch of sloughed off skin.

I have to admit that it freaked me out more than a bit. I had no idea what could have possibly caused it. I mean, because it started out like a blister I thought that it would have most likely been a burn, but don't you think that if I got a burn bad enough to blister, I would have felt it?

Later that day, when I was peeling off the band aid that I had put on it, I was so thankful that I couldn't feel the band aid coming off the skin (because it pulled more skin off with it)(Gross!). And then I realized that the burn is in an area where I have no feeling because the nerve endings were damaged when I had stomach surgery. So of course I didn't feel the burn. Which is why I got such a bad one. Now that I think back, I fell asleep one night with the heating pad on. And now I know that it is possible to get very badly burned by a heating pad. Especially when you can't feel your skin burning to the point of blistering...

I have been changing the dressing every morning and night. I was told to keep it dry, so I didn't put anything on it. Then last night when I changed the bandage there was some greenish yellow discharge on it, so I put polysporin on it. Today it wasn't any better. I looked at the expiry date and it expired in April of 2007, so it probably didn't have that much punch left in it. I bought a new tube today, put it on the raw open wound and am hoping that when I change the dressing in the morning that there is no longer any sign of infection. If there is then I will go to the doctor. It would be pretty ridiculous not to. I am not suicidal, and if I was, killing myself by infected three inch burn would be a pretty stupid and slow way to do it...

So: I have had a fire, flood, blistering burn... That's three. Perhaps it will now end and good things can happen. How amazing would that be?!

No comments:

Post a Comment