Sunday, September 26, 2010

six o clock in the morning?

What makes kids think that getting up at 6am and jumping all over me is a good idea? Especially when they are both tired and have colds and went to bed late? And are cranky? And yucky? And snotty? And irritating? And when I'm cranky and yucky and most likely irritating too?

So I did what I think is best. I got really sarcastic about the virtues of waking mommy up that early, got them juice, forced meds into my son and turned on the TV. And now I'm watching Sesame Street with them because I'm an idiot who needs to go back to sleep but is getting crankier and crankier instead. I'm just asking for someone to come tuck me into bed with something yummy to drink in a sippy cup. I'm thinking some warm baileys would be great. And maybe a foot rub. I don't think that's unrealistic. Do you? I mean, it's not like I'm asking to wake up and have the HUGE cutting/gluing/popsiclestick/paper/puzzle mess on my living room carpet all cleaned up by some miracle. Just a nice cup of baileys, a foot rub, and warm covers tucked around me. Maybe even a kiss on my forehead.

Do kids have any idea how good they have it?!

And I don't have a couch. I want one, I can thankfully afford one, but I just haven't bought one so I can't even fall asleep on the couch with them. Or relax on it and close my eyes and pretend that when I wake up for real I'll be somewhere with lots of fresh air, the ocean that is swimmable and warm sand between my toes. I think that when life gets as crappy as I feel like this one is these days, I should have a couch. Because we all know that when we're feeling crappy and tired that buying things fixes everything...

My body is tired and my soul has been through the ringer in the past few days dealing with the old boyfriend moving back and making mature decisions that are good in the long run but suck short term. And really, the long run is absurd. I've never had a long run of anything in my life. Everything seems to always end up reasonably short term even if I thought otherwise. And my kids are bitching because I offered them goldfish crackers for a morning snack. Apparently the morning snack I should have naturally gravitated to giving them is chocolate. TV, juice and chocolate first thing in the morning would make for a very bad day for us. So I gave them frozen yogurt tubes instead. More healthy? I'd like to think so. Keeps them quiet for longer? Yes. And right now, that is the whole point.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I miss those little buggers of yours but I'm glad that mess is at your house and not at mine!!

    ReplyDelete